Call us today on 07800 961 088

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. Gas safety is one of the most important factors in having a safe home and work place. The dangers that surround unsafe gas appliances are deadly serious. Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work leads to carbon monoxide poisoning, the effects of which can be fatal.
Did you know itís not always easy to spot an illegal gas fitter for a fully qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. Always ask to see your gas engineerís Gas Safe Register ID card to make sure they are safe and legal.
The Gas Safe Register is there to make sure you donít fall into the trap of paying for illegal gas work with your health, and possibly your life.


  • What is OFTEC?

Most building work done in your home will be subject to Building Regulations Ėand that includes any installation or upgrade work done on your heating system. Building Regulations vary depending on where you are in the UK, but generally all work must be notified to your local authority. Because your OFTEC Registered Technician is a Ďcompetent personí under the Building Regulations, he can self-certify his work and take care of the notification for you. Youí'll receive a certificate confirming that the work done meets the relevant Building Regulations. Keep this certificate in a safe place as you may need it for your Home Information Packs which became mandatory for England and Wales in June 2007.


  • What are the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. Thatís why itís quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else. Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.
Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Your symptoms only occur when you are at home
  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
  • Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time

If you experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you should:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem

Donít assume your gas appliances are safe.